Thursday, December 9, 2010

All About (my) Ki


My youngest son is downstairs in the kitchen using his mad-unschool-chef skills to make banana bread. he is making, not a half double batch, but a 1.5 batch. We have 4 bread-ready-bananas.

I write this 2nd blog of the day b/c I have been thinking a lot about the learningful ways of young Chef Ki.

Ki just seemed to be born to unschool. I like a lot of the unschool concepts, but not enough to fully embrace radical unschooling. Sometimes, I think Ki would do well with full-on radical unschooling. But I don;t see how I can do that with 1 when the other two would not thrive on it like they do with our current, Quasi-Unschool, relaxed schedule.

When Ki was 3 he could count.

to 3.

When Ki was 4 he could count.... all the way to.... FOUR.

When he was 5 and counting to 5, I asked him when he would use the rest of the numbers in his counting. (I knew he could count if he really wanted to, so didn't want to make it sound like I thought he couldn't count)

Ki told me; "When I am six, I will count to 6. When I am ten I will count to 10. When I am twenty I will count to whatever number that it."

When Ki was about 5 and half he had training wheels on his bike. I could tell he didn't really need them as they were high enough up that they barely touched the ground.

I asked Ki when he wanted to take his training wheels off.

Ki told me; "When I am 7 because 7 is the age you take your training wheels off."

When he was 7, we took them off and he rode just fine.
I started homeschooling the boys when Ki was almost 5. Half way through the year I asked him when he'd be ready too do school stuff with us. (He sat with us and did the fun experiments but wanted nothing to do with "school")

Ki told me; "When I am 6 I will learn and do school because 6 is how old kids are when they start school."

When he turned 6 he all the sudden was ready to 'do school.'.. because he had decided it was time for it.

Ki had dyspraxia, Dyslexia, and Sensory Processing Disorder and a few other little things that made learning a struggle. I found what worked best was to give him a list of topics (like math, history, spelling, etc) and ask him what he wanted to do that day and in what order.

He actually would do what he needed. He'd make lists of what he needs to be doing to spell the words he had put on his list (like 'yellow', 'iguana', 'there', -- he chose good words). Like he'd say "Today I think I should write them shaving cream, them out the make letters out of clay to spell those words, then spell them in sign language."
so, you see- he actually chose to do good learning activities. (My others maybe have said "O, draw a picture and ride my bike"- for their school if left all on their own)

When I make a plan and decide what Ki should be learning, it ends up a HUGE MESS. I keep forgetting that he learns well on his own. Sometimes I forget because I get convinced that he needs to learnt he same subjects other kids learn... like math and spelling. Those things just don't seem to be Ki's Cup of Cocoa.

He loves to cook, learn about Church History, make up games, and acting classes.

Ki decided he didn't like his morning chore of laundry and asked if he could make a deal. If he cooked breakfast Instead. So we cut a deal. He makes breakfast M/W/F and does Laundry T/Th. He makes French Toast, Pancake Buffet, Waffles, Bacon & Toast, Pumpkin Scones....

He was asked to cook dinner for a friend of ours. She is supplying the ingredients and buying him DelTaco Tacos....LOL. He loves their tacos and doesn't get them nearly as often as he would like.

He also told someone at church he'd cook for them, too.

He volunteers to be a greeter in the morning and helps with the Children's Services once a month- all on his own.

He doesn't want to be a scientist or a teacher or to build robots. He wants to do be a chef or a pastor or be on a travelling drama team. And he seems to know what kinds of things he needs to be learning to meet his personal goals.

Ki had asked to learn Chemistry. So did G&C. So I got a High School Chemistry Course (Apologia) and made lesson plans to teach all 3 boys.
After 2 days of meltdowns I finally admitted to myself that Chemistry for Ki is very different than Chemistry for my 2 Engineer/Math boys.

So I am redoing my plans for our group Chemistry Class. It will be a 2 part class on Chemistry Days. FIRST-The fun, experiment, basic notes will be done with Ki as part of our class. Then while C&G get into the math and other complex areas, Ki will read or research his interests or do worksheets to review math basics.






Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

6 comments:

asliceofsmithlife said...

HI Kimberly!
Thanks for visiting my blog and posting a comment! Thanks for following and I'm now following you!
Your son Ki sounds like a very special and talented young man! His desire to learn in his own way and time is a gift to be embraced and it sounds like you are working with him to be as successful as possible!

Have a blessed weekend!
Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"
http://www.asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com

Emily @ Bentobloggy.com said...

Hi there, I'm blog hopping today! I'm a new follower - I found you on Home Grown Families. I have a food blog that is geared towards making healthy and fun kids lunches, and I'm a Blogger.com 'Blog of Note'. I hope you'll follow me back -

http://bentobloggy.blogspot.com/

Thanks!!

katjandu said...

Hi Kimberly,
I really enjoyed reading your post today. It's a little glimpse of your life with Ki; he is such a blessing to all he encounters and very smart too. You were given the role of being his Mom; God is good!

Susan Evans said...

I also have 3 boys that I homeschool, but they're 10, 9, and 7. (I also have a daughter who is 5). I do lots of unit studies mostly, but I'm always interested in learning more about unschooling.

So your son wants to be a chef or a pastor? Even though they seem unrelated, maybe he could be a pastor of a church with lots of potlucks! LOL

Unknown said...

Hi, Susan. Thanks for stopping by. i didn't see a blog listed for you when I clicked your name.
So your boys are about the age closeness of my boys. At one time by boys were 10,9, and 7.. {smiles}

Pastor and Chef are related I think. They are both areas of service, helping others. Both are more of a "Culture" area (as opposed to science or math or reading) Maybe he'll be a "Soup Kitchen Pastor that puts on Skits to teach Bible Stories"...

Hanna said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower from the blog hop! LOVELY blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
Take a peek at my giveaways when you come by. I have 7 going on now and everything is handmade and GORGEOUS:) Happy Holidays!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails