Friday, December 10, 2010

Good Chemistry


It was a good day. Ki made Breakfast, as it is Friday. He had Banana Muffins that he & made last night & he cooked bacon. He also made tea for me and brought it all to me in bed.
Nothing like Breakfast in bed on a Friday! In the shape of a HAPPY FACE!

We started our day by lighting our Hanukkah Candles. We do not have a real Menorah. Just votives. But It works for us. And we have no idea the real day Hanukkah started, but that is OK with us, too. We are learning about Hanukkah.


We light our Candles, then read from Daniel and then do our Book of Daniel Lessons. I am doing a Beth Moore study with a group of ladies, then I teach some if to the boys. Then we pray and blow out the candles.



Chemistry Class was divided into Part A: the hands-on-not-so-mathy- part [done with KI] and then Part B: The mathematical application [done w/o KI]
Part A was talking about the proper way to take measurements. Terms like Meniscus, Accuracy vs. precision. Then they took measurements of different things. a group of graduated cylnders & beakers and then a stash of stuff for length.



Gavin found a science experiment online to do, so he did that with his brothers.
Light a candle in water, put a glass over it, watch the water level rise under the g;ass as the fire creates a vacuum.


{after lunch we did Part B: G&C finished the sections and practice problems then did their ALEKS online math ....while K did worksheets}

I printed a LOT of worksheets for Ki and sorted them into [math], [science], [language arts]. He put them into their own folders and went to work. He was told do to a couple from each folder. He got a 4th folder for finished worksheets to turn in at the end of the week.
THIS seemed a very good compromise for doing chemistry with all them at their different levels from the same High School CD-Rom. How Great to avoid a Sensory Meltdown!


~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory


7 comments:

Gabby Malcuit said...

I think that's great how they can all learn together. We have one child right now, but we hope to have more children later and to homeschool them. It seems scary though to think of teaching different aged children, but I know we have a long time before we will cross that bridge.

Unknown said...

It was nice to have a school day this week sans-meltdown.

Paisley Parmer said...

Thanks for stopping by the Home School Tweet! I love the smiley face breakfast. : )

Unknown said...

What a great day. I did the same Daniel group study with the ladies at my church last year. What a great study. Your button looks wonderful. I wish I lived closer so my son could sit in on your Science projects. Have a wonderful weekend.

Kelli said...

What a fun school day!! My 11 year old would love to play Chemistry with your children. ;-)

I clicked a vote for you... thanks for stopping by!

April said...

hi there! i'm following from the cornucopia of blog hops :) i would love if you would follow me back!

best,
april

www.marineparents.blogspot.com

jC said...

Following you back from my blog! thanks for dropping by! stop by again anytime at http://iliveiluviteach.blogspot.com/
'n btw... iluv ur pics! yum! makes me want to get to baking!

Blessings,
jC

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails