Monday, January 17, 2011

TOOL MARKS, pageviews & more

CSI Day was Tool Marks today. We had a late start. One of our students had a long, tiring weekend. A few students didn't make it, and my kids were there early. (because they live here....)

The boys spent some time doing Word Scrambles while T & I prepped the Investigation Laboratory. We had 4 stations. The first was Señor Lémoné. He was brought in with 2 puncture wounds. The Crime Scene Techs recovered 4 pairs of scissors and a small knife that looked like they may have been the murder weapon. Our Lab Tech took measurements, compared data, and found what was the actual murder weapon.

Our Next Victim had a puncture wound, too, but it had a hole shaped entrance and no exit wound. This Lab Tech made similar punctures with the different screwdrivers that were recovered from the scene. He filled each with a cast material. He also examined the entry wounds (before casting) and compared the one the victim to the samples.



Our 3rd Lab Tech had a complicated case. Mr. Clay Bloque was attacked by a gang and had many different wounds that needed to be identified. There were 5 different marks. plus the knuckle marks.




Part of Mr. Clay Bloque was severed from the rest of his body annd found a few feet away. Our 4th Lab Tech had to determine what type of knife was used and then compare to knives recovered from the scene.





Due to time constraints, and the fact that a few techs couldn't make it, we decided to postpone the Fatal Error Murder Investigation until next class.

** To Read our FIRST CSI Activity- a Crime Scene! click HERE Crime Scene Analysis

**Check Out Pictures from our Cake Mystery and Shoe Impression by clicking HERE (shoes, foam, & cake).

** Pics of making our own Fingerprint powder and using it: CLICK HERE

**********************************************


I was looking at my stats. My entry a few weeks ago is now #4 of all time. (blog entries since early 2007). It was our first Crime Scene Analysis Class; the class with the real victim, Luminol, and Fingerprint Powder! 71 views!

Close behind is an entry from April Last year, entitled " Three Chickens and Billy Bug." = 66 views.

My 3rd Place for pageviews is "Obstacle Course & 'semi-unschool' ". May 2007. 157 views.

************************

We went to the beach after lunch. I bought something for my mom's birthday, collected some rocks, and watched the boys play in the freezing cold water. I had to buy new sunglasses, because I forgot to check my bag for mine and the intense bright sun gave me an instant headache.

So now I have cool, trendy sunglasses from the Avila Beach Store. (I forget the actual name of the store)





~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay, Kimberly! Glad you linked up. Looks like your boys had a very productive and enjoyable day.

Lisa xoxo

AskTracy said...

Great day for the beach! : )

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...CSI homeschool!!! My son would LOVE that. Thanks so much for the great idea.

Blessing to you from the Hip Homeschool Hop,

Sue :)

Terry Borden said...

CSI!!! I Love that! Looks like they had fun! Stopping by from Hip Homeschool Hop :)

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

Oh this brings back memories from one or our favorite homeschool summers when we studied detectives and CSI related things. One of our favorite activities was tracking friends at the mall -incognito of course.

It is so grand getting to experience these adventures over again with my three boys!

~Heather

(coming via the hhh)

Bridget said...

It's posts like these that make me REALLY want to homeschool my daughter - both now for preschool and later! I look forward to reading more from you! I am your newest follower from the Tuesday trail link up. Please take a second to follow me - I would REALLY appreciate it. I am only 8 GFC followers away from the goal I tried to reach last year - better late than never I suppose :) Have a great week.
Bridget at Divalicious Deals

Christy said...

Hmmm, since I have a cop living in my house, maybe I should get him to do a little CSI study with the boys. Looks like a great time!

Rhen @Yes, they are all mine said...

Love the crime scene learning!! That is such a great idea.
Popped over from HHH and my kids are going to love doing this whole CSI thing. Now for a little research on my part. :)

{LyndsD} said...

Oh my daughter would LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT. Oh who am I kidding my 3 yr old would too! That is so awesome! I am going to have to come back and share this post with my husband. That is so awesome! I think we are going to have to do this.

Stopping by from HHH.

Jackie said...

The whole forensics science stuff looks like so much fun. Where did you find your ideas?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails