Wednesday, May 9, 2007

OBSTACLE COURSE & semi-unschool

It's been a good week so far- Yesterday's blog........ Monday's Blog. Lots of pictures this week, so far!

I don't really unschool. I do have 'unshool days'...and 'unschool moments'...


 


But I also have structure and rules for the kids to follow. I guess I might call it...."relaxed, child interest guided ecclectic school with therapy"We started the day with an obstacle course before Breakfast.


 



Jump over then boxes leading to the wheelbarrow, zigzag the wheelbarrow around the boxes – there and back.


 



 feet together hop over sticks.


 



one foot jump through ladder rungs.


 



 walk the beam

 

 



 crawl under the table

 


 



do 3 figure-eight loops around the chairs.


 


 

balance and count to 10

 


 


Breakfast was waffles. Gavin diced strawberries and added a little sugar. BACK outside for crisscrosses and Head Shoulders Knees and Toes. (with water)


 


SPELLING- G&C had to write variations for their words. So for evade- they wrote evading, evasion, evaded…. These variations were added to the list of words they will have to write on their test. The write all their words from memory. I don't say them for the boys to spell.


Ki played a toe touch game. I wrote the letters for his words on pieces of paper. Lay them on the floor out of order. He touches them with his toe in order while spelling them out loud. Half way through he decided to add a couple extra letters that aren't in the word and he had to find the correct letters (or figure out which didn't belong). This used both sides of his brain I am pretty sure (esp since he thought it fun to alternate which fot he used each letter) and using both mental and physical together is great for cementing facts and great for his dyspraxia.


Then Ki worked on writing a story. He likes to write stories with his words. He choose this activity. I asked him what he wanted to do with his spelling words today.(that's my semi-unschool moment). I added the toe game, because I know he needs stuff like that for his dyspraxia, dyslexia, SID.


 


Gavin and Connor wrote 10-15 sentences with their words.


 


 Ki choose to write in his story instead of read.(another semi- unschool moment..LOL)


 I sometimes allow that. It's good for kids to get some say in what and how they do some things…sometimes….. but it's also good for them to learn to follow the instructions of those in charge of their welfare, even if it is boring- after all- that's pretty much how life is …


The first school sessions are the ones that are something to write home about…… the rest is pretty boring… like last time. like usual… not much therapy or fun ways to teach going on the rest of the school day


GAVIN- 1- Switched On Schoolhouse- History (we only use the history- it's not great, but it's more of just something to do and maybe learn a bit at the same time) 2- Review Math Lessons with mom


 


CONNOR- 1. Going Places- reread story and draw 5 sequence pictures.(Connor asked to drawthe sequence pictures from his Cat Warrior book, I let him) 2. two Math Detective Cases 3- Online Science


 


 Ki- 1-Beyond the Code. 3 pages 2- Miquon F-45,45 J-13


Manuel- 1. Ingles in 10 Minutos 2- Miquon J-6,8,9



No real links this time, folks....sorry...

11 comments:

momof3feistykids said...

It sounds like you're on the same road with me, striving for the right balance between parental guidance and child-led learning. What a great day! I admire the way you weave motor planning activities, brain gym, and many other things into your day. I should get back to more of this.

"My Little Wonders" said...

Wow I love the idea of the obstecle course. Giving me other ideas here too. Thats why I love to check out others blogs for the great ideas. Good Job !!! Looks like fun and motor skills all in one.

Megan Bayliss said...

Great job K.
M from Oz.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Wow! You got that together before breakfast? I have to have my "cup of joe" right after I walk the dogs and before I can talk (civilly) to anybody. :)

Can I come to your school?

Barbara Frank said...

My youngest has Down syndrome, and he does have a homeschooled friend with Ds who goes places with him at times. But he would love to do your obstacle course as school with a bunch of brothers. Sounds like they have a lot of fun :)

Anniek said...

When I started homeschooling my son we also unschooled because he was very frustrated about school. Little by little we reintroduced working out of books again and now he's doing great going parttime to school again.
My son liked the obstacle courses too when he saw a SI-therapist every other week for about 18 months. And it really helped to improve his motor skills!

LAA and Family said...

I'll have to try this with my boys. They'll really get into it!

Niall MacC said...

Hello there, Kaber. This is Niall (Sean's dad and Ruth's hubbie!). Love the obstacle course - you've given me an idea or two for Sean and his friends. Ruth hasn't got her Russian blog up and running yet. It's not really going to be an active blog.We have a Russian friend who's translating it at the moment - as soon as it's ready we plan to publish it - along with he Spanish and Latvian ones which are already up and running.
Sean tried the double doodles today. He had great fun! BTW, the YouTube video of the 'egg in a bottle' was one we found online - we hope to try our own one sometime this week...

Anonymous said...

kabersblog.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at kabersblog.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Peter

Unknown said...

what link?
and what staff member? I'm just a mom- no staff here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails