Tuesday, May 8, 2007

PUZZLES & SCIENCE

I slept in this morning. I had a headache.

We did some chores around the house to get ready for Breakfast. Even Manuel did work. Connor and Gavin made Breakfast.

The school day started with Brain Gym. With my headache, I put the boys in charge. Ki led Criss Crosses, Connor led Body Scales (these are not a Brain Gym activity. It is a sensory activity made to help Ki's dyspraxia.). Ki always wants to lead these, but I only can let him lead them if I do a round first. (to make sure it gets done as needed to work, LOL). Manuel led Lazy 8s with arms. Gavin led Hook Ups.

I made word worksheets for Ki while they did this. I used Puzzle Maker(free to use website) and plugged in Ki's spelling words for this week. I made a word search and a crossword puzzle with his spelling words.

During Brain Gym., I also used Babelfish to give Manuel his writing assignment. Babelfish is a free language translator online. Id does dozens of languages , but it's not perfect. You have to think carefully about your wording. If you type. I was right (meaning correct) it will translate the ord RIGHT ad the directional word. (right or left). So I have to think carefully about how to word things. and sometimes it's still a bit off, but if I use the correct wording it does a good enough job that Manuel can understand it.

After Brain Gym, I gave the boys their writing assignments. They had to choose an event from a short list I provided, as I have learned long ago, an open ended choice leads to 3 hours of trying to decide for my younger 2. They had to write a list of what happened in order. Gavin needed 25 things, Connor 20, Ki 15. Tomorrow they will turn their list into a story. I will Ki make a comic book story- less words, yet he gets the story writing concept. They all wrote more than needed. The seemed to enjoy iy. I had Manuel write 10 sentences about going to Danny's house on Sunday. (The boys' friends). Ki also choose their day at Danny's house.

Manuel was done first. I found a book with instructions on dinosaur origami. I started with the easiest in the book. The dinosaur snapper head. I helped a lot with the first time. He thought it was SO NEAT that flat paper made a 3-D toy! So we did another one, with him doing most of it. Then he did one all on his own. Connor loves these snapers and son all the boys were making them.


ORIGAMI ONLINE FOR KIDS


Link to Video of Connor folding Dinosaur Snapper


Then it was time to do Manuel's therapy and my boys to do their reading. it keeps them occupied and focused while I am off with Manuel.


That brings us up to lunch.


The rest of the school day will be boring to report. Miquon, Math Detective CD, Beyond the Code, Ingles in 10 Minutos, Online Science Study.


I put the online science studies together for my boys. Here is the CELL one that Gavin just finished.


Lesson 2 Cells



Go Here- read, take notes, explore-


http://www.tvdsb.on.ca/westmin/science/sbi3a1/Cells/cells.htm



Click on the link for Unit Membrane- Read and click NEXT to get to the next page. Continue this. Some pages have little animated diagrams with a PLAY feature. Make sure you watch them.



At the end is a quiz, Take it. Record your grade- Correct if needed.



Click on the Studying Cells Tutorial-


read, click Scientific Method and read.


List the 7 steps in your notebook.




Click- Size & Biology Read



Click Major Events Read



Click to Test yourself


Click on each of the 4 areas to test. record your grades I your notebook.



NEXT- Go the following Site- http://www.cellsalive.com/cells/3dcell.htm


Read, take notes, follow links



GO HERE- http://www.cellsalive.com/gallery.htm


Read and explore



NEXT URL- http://library.thinkquest.org/3564/


CLICK ON LESSONS- Do one at a time, starting with the first- Take all of the quizzes and record your grades in your notebook..



CLICK ON VIRTUAL CELL LINK- Explore- Click the PLAIN links and watch.



NEXT URL- http://www.usoe.k12.ut.us/curr/science/sciber00/7th/cells/sciber/intro.htm




Read, take notes, don't do the Enrichment Links



PROJECTS to DO-


http://library.thinkquest.org/19037/making_a_cell.html





1 comment:

momof3feistykids said...

James uses a comic book format (visual - less writing) often, too. If he even writes a single sentence, I'm happy. Thanks for the cell links!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails