Monday, January 3, 2011

J-TERM DAY 1

MONDAY'S WRAP-UP.
J-TERM DAY 1

9:OO- Ki made pancakes. What better way to start our day? Me not having to cook and Yet there are still homemade pancakes to be eaten! He made Whole Wheat Pancakes; they weren't bad. I figured I needed to try one, though I was planning on just having a protein fruit smoothie. Ki told me they were whole wheat and had an extra egg white for protein. I'll have a Fruit Smoothie for lunch.

- I read one of the short stories out of our Jesus Freaks book and sent them off to read until 10:15. being that this is Forensics Month they had to choose a book that was a mystery is some sort. 39 Clues. The Mysterious Benedict Society. Hardy Boys. Mars Diary was added to the list. I want to see if I can find some Encyclopedia brown books at the Library.

10:30 - Forensic Class.

Define Forensic Science: The application of a broad spectrum of sciences to answer questions of interest to a legal system. [OR] Using Science to gather Legal Evidence.

Took Notes from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forensic_science

*Eureka - The archamedes story

*1st recorded use of forensics, China.

Watching these YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_58XsN6XJWQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMmSCXzmxD4

I sent an email with the Youtube links to the boys so they could watch individually and use earphones. This worked well.

Did Word Scrambles 1 from this Page: http://www.sciencespot.net/Pages/classforscistarters.html this was Connor’s strong area. Gavin’s weakest area.

Did Some Spot The Differences (from the same above link- scroll down further): Gavin was strongest in this area.

Then we did some Fingerprint Stuff. We used a thick graphite art pencil to cover our fingertips, pressed our fingers onto the sticky side of packing tape, put the tape, sticky-side-down, onto blank index cards and labeled them. They covered their entire care with packing tape and used their fingerprint cards as bookmarks.

The Finished Fingerprint Card. Gavin added tape to the bottom as well & uses it as a bookmark.



To Make these Fingerprint cards:

Step One: Make Tape Lifting Tabs. Pull out about 3/4 and inch of tape away from the roll.

Step 2: Fold this piece of tape so the sticky sides adhere to each other. You now have a non-sticky tab to hold.



Step #3 Cut so there is about 1-2 inches of sticky tape. Set, sticky-side-up, into a flat surface


Step #4: either shave graphite off of a regular pencil or use one of those FAT Charcoal Art Pencils to coat your fingertip:




Step #5: place your fingertip onto the sticky side up tape, gently rollback and forth once:



Gavin did 3 fingers at the same time



Step #6 - place your print tape tab onto a blank index card.


We didn’t have time to get to the other things I wanted for Forensic Class today, but we’ll get to them tomorrow and actually talk about fingerprints and identifying fingerprint characteristics.


12: ISH was Lunch Time!!

1:00 2nd half of J-Term.

There is not much to write about C&G's Computer Class. Their dad gives them assignments- actual computer programming. I gave them a list of research, notes, etc, that needs to be some by the end of the month. (CLICK to Read their Comp. Program List) They are to spend about 30-45 minutes on my research and the rest of the time doing the computer programming.

Ki does THEATER on Mon./Wed./Fridays.

Ki started by reading to me out of a book called "Three plays written by Thornton Wilder". It is written in script format. He liked that it is written in script format.

Then we did some online research and note taking. Playwrights vs Screen Writers. Early Playwrights. Homophones (wright/write/right). Looks up some Greek Theater stuff (the Muses & the masks)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playwright
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muses

Ki drew the Theater Masks (Comedy & Tragedy) in his book.

Then we watched a Youtube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksVacpkQcGs&feature=BF&list=PL8191D67D4070401A&index=2

Ki then read through different lists of Improv Games and made a list of ideas for Wednesday.
http://improvencyclopedia.org/games/index.html

Our 1st day of J-term was over at 2:50.

{DAY 2 OF J-TERM IS LISTED HERE: CLICK}

All I can find for dinner is spaghetti and no one here seems to want spaghetti. I NEED to make me MENU!!! (and go to Trader Joe's)


This Blog Entry is part of the following Hops:
Photobucket Photobucket


~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

10 comments:

laughwithusblog said...

Oh the finger prints look soooo fun!

Unknown said...

...and they are MESSY! can't get much better than that!

Lisa said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments. Looks like a very productive day! Thanks for all the great links. And for mentioning 39 Clues. I have heard so many good things about that series.

Lisa xoxo

asliceofsmithlife said...

Hi Kimberly!
It looks like a fun and full day! The fingerprints look like so much fun for sure! Thank you for your blog visits and comments! :) To answer your question that you left on my blog: I'm thinking you can link up as many posts as you want for the A Day in Our Life blog hop that Lynda is hosting at My Heart's Desire, but I would contact her to verify :)
Happy Homeschooling!
Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"

Amy said...

The fingerprints do look fun. The Jterm idea is a good one too. Thanks for writing your schedule. Now you have me thinking...

Amy @ Missional Mama
visiting from the Hip Homeschool Hop

Theresa said...

Stopping by from the Hip Homeschool Hop! I completely love the Forensics class you are doing!! I am thinking we will school Jan-March, take April off; then school May-July and take August off. This may be a nice thing for May - July...love it! Great idea!

Unknown said...

Great post. It looks like a lot of fun. I like the idea of emailing the links to your boys for them to listen to individually.

I saw your comment on Tracy's blog about linking up more to the blog hop. You most definitely can. I look forward to reading all you are doing this week and beyond. =)

God bless and I voted for you.

Joy said...

Looks like you had an awesome day! Thanks for sharing on how you did the fingerprints. I know my son will enjoy doing that. Thanks for joining in with the Hip Homeschool Hop!!

Mommie Kate said...

Can I just send my son over to your house? lol Wow! You look like you have so much fun! I'm visiting from the hip homeschool blog hop. Thanks for sharing your info. I'm so glad to have other moms to learn from!

Maggie said...

This looks so fun! Thank you for linking up on Teach Me Tuesday this week!
Maggie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails