Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Evil Monster created by 'SCHOOL'

I now know why public school moms must think they would never have the patience for homeschooling. Of all they know id helping kids with homework, then the thought of teaching their kids all day would be terrifying. Not because of the kids- because of their knowledge of helping with homework.

The boys have an assignment for class they are taking.I have no idea what they need to do and they do not understand either. There was no paper sent home to explain what was required or how to do this project. I can not handle having somehting to do and now knowing what is required or how. I can not stand scribbled out things and chocolate finger prints on white cardstock.

I told Connor not to include family history stuff. Stuff like what he did in grade school and how many siblings he has, only their government office history. (Before he was a governor, was he a senator, did he run for other offices? What he on any committees......) I look over and Connor has written in red permanent marker on his cardstock. *Has 8 brothers and sisters. * Was good at art. * I told Ki not to eat the chocolate bar while doing this project. He'd get fingerprints and chocolate smudges on the white cardstock and he is to do his best job on this assignment. 10 minutes into it, he has eaten half the chocolate bar and their are finger smudges on his white cardstock.

I feel so mad I want to cry. The confusion of having no idea what to do and it's due tomorrow is killing me. It has to be awful for them to have this projects about something they do not understand and have no paper that tells them what to do or what is expected.

If this is the only frustrated feelings I knew about helping kids with school work, the thought of homeschooling would scare me.

As it is now, the thought of 3 kids in public school with reports and projects like this terrifies me. Esp with Ki and his frequent meltdowns.

So, to all you out there that think you could never have the patience to homeschool your kids because just doing a bit of homework is torture and has made you and your child temporary enemies-- PLEASE know that homeschooling is NOTHING like doing homework with your kids.

My day was so perfect until I had to help them with this and all the sudden I feel like a mad, raging monster and threw Ki's chocolate bar.

7 comments:

Stacie said...

I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one to have meltdowns.

Reading this brings back so many horrible memories of being a kid with a school assignment I didn't understand. The frustration, the stress, the being so mad you want to cry. I remember my mom helping me with homework until bedtime, when I was in 5th grade.

I agree, homeschooling is NOTHING at all like that. There are frustrating moments, but at least we know what we expect. And we can walk away from it for a day or even a few days, because we have not due dates.

Do they HAVE to complete the class? Would you feel okay about them "dropping out"? I know that's what I'd want to do.

Anonymous said...

Exactly! When my daughter was in school (with Asperger's, sensory issues, and mild learning disabilities) getting through homework was a nightmare. I thought surely homeschooling would be beyond me. But instead it made things much easier.

Anonymous said...

Really? You surprise me. No actually, on second thoughts you amaze me. I always assumed that homeschooling [for me at least] would be one long barrage of continuous homework battle from 8 until 3 [ish].

So I'm not sure what you're really saying [thickie that I am] Maybe an additional post will clarify.

Maybe this is because it's externally imposed upon you [all] is that what you mean?

best wishes
The F student!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I remember helping my kids with their homework. Oh how I hated doing that.
Often times teachers will have e-mails or phone numbers so you can get in touch with them. I would just let them know that the kids didn't understand the assignment. Perhaps they are getting other parents telling them the same thing. Most of the time teachers do not want the kids to be frustrated.

Ruth MacC said...

The more I school Sean the more I like it and the easier it seems to be. I really will be sorry to see him go to secondary school when he is 13:(

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Oh, I so totally know what you mean. Homeschooling is NOTHING like doing homework, and you've made a great point. If parents are used to the torture of homework with tired, cranky kids who've been in school all day,then of course this is what they might imagine homeschooling to be! I never thought of it like that. I remember the sheer torture of doing homework with my FIRST GRADER when he was in public school. I can't even imagine doing that kind of stuff anymore!

Anonymous said...

wow! what a topic! I love that you threw the candy bar : ) and I am really thankful that you are awesome to share this. It is really true too.

I can't imagine having my kids in school, yet someday I could have to. It's scarey....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails