Monday, March 7, 2011

Smokin' Hot Fun!



Monday's School features Smoke Bombs!

Well, first we did the experiment that was in the actual Chemistry Chapter.
(Apologia High School Chemistry CD Rom)

Thermometer
Beaker
Water
Ice
Alcohol Burner

First, filled the beakers 3/4 with ice, then added water.
Stirred 5 minutes.
Took the temp.
It should be 0.0 Celsius.
Most thermometers are off up to 2 degrees.
They recorded their thermometers for sake of calibration.

Then they lit the burner and recorded temps every minute
(of the ice water)
They marked time/temp of when all the ice had melted.


I thought we had 3 glass beakers, but I only found 2, so Ki used a jar.

it cracked at about 37 Celsius.
WATER MESS all over the table as the bottom fell out.


*NOTE TO SELF- BUY MORE GLASS BEAKERS

And I thought I had 3 of the lab thermometers. Only found 2.
Gavin used Ki's instant-read meat thermometer.

Which was pretty accurate. Gavin took his water to boiling.


*note to self: buy another lab thermometer.

They seemed to enjoy this in an educational capacity.
Tracking the movement on the thermometer. Watching for changes.
Dealing with faulty equipment. Marking their charts.

***************************

Next came the even they have been waiting for since we started Chem class.
SMOKE BOMBS! click: How To Video

2 parts sugar
3 parts Potassium Nitrate KNO3
KNO3 is sold as Salt Peter/stump remover, but we had trouble finding it
so we ordered straight KNO3 online.


just heat & stir those two in a skillet until it looks like light creamy peanut butter.


pour into glops on foil. (my boys did 1 big glop, then broke it apart)
cool.

take outside.

Light.

(and stand back)
Next time we should add sodium bicarbonate to make it burn a little more slowly
here is a small part of this big mess.




The Fire Breathing (click for how to video) didn't work too well.It was mostly a mess. We used the bunsen burners. Next time we need a NOT windy day and a stick with fire.
but we had a couple good tries.

and this was thee messiest still. the boys covered in cornstarch,
cornstarch all over the back porch.
THREE Big Messes in ONE day! how much more fun can there be?

and then there was math and reading. but that's boring blog material.
Here is what Ki wrote about writing in his writing journal:

Writing is LAME and should be illegal because it is LAME. It is mucho boring and LAME so we should not have to learn something that is illegal and LAME. Wait, i have to shoop my whoop....BLAAAAAAHHHHH.....Ok. back to LAME writing i should
go to jail because it is illegal.

I guess I'm in BIG trouble. (so VOTE for my blog)

Busy Mom's Tips Tuesday Blog Hop Photobucket


~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

22 comments:

Heather Jones said...

I am following from the totally Tuesday blog hop. I'd love for you to follow back!! :)

Have a great day and don't hurt yourself with those backyard bombs! ;)

Cynthia said...

Following from FMBT. Please come follow me at http://preciouscupcakes.blogspot.com :)

I have some great giveaways going on right now (JoAnn's, Starbucks, Custom Makeup Brush Roll, and a Nikon Coolpix Digital Camera :)

The Adventurer said...

WOW you taught your kids to make a smoke bomb very brave of you:) Now following hope you will consider following back:)

Zelda said...

Saw you on HHM.
Love the smoke bombs - will def be using them in our next group class :)

Zelda
Homeschool Escapade

Mrs. White said...

You are so brave! Your boys must have loved this!

I'm visiting you back from the homeschool hop. I am also following you now and would love to have you follow back.

Have a great week!

Blessings
Mrs. White

esther said...

Great experiments! In our Experiences in Chemistry book on Homeschool Science Press we recommend you just go ahead and use mason jars instead of beakers all the time- its cheaper!

Stopping by from Hip Homeschool Hop- new follower, too!

The Man Crew said...

Kim, SO enjoyed today's post and pics! LOVE the breathing fire one. We're SO trying this! I need some corn starch, so we are heading to the store today. Thanks again for being an inspiration to the 'rest of us' moms :) Oh and I voted, too!
Blessings, ~K~

Ticia said...

That is AWESOME!

I'm just imagining what my neighbors would think if smoke suddenly poured out of my backyard.

Anthony and April Flanigan said...

Hi! I am following back! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Praises from a Wife and Mommy! said...

Hi! I am following back! Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Kirsten said...

Wow- that looks cool! I just found you in the hop and am your newest follower! You can find me at Random Utterances. Hope to see you soon!

Jenn@Sweet T Makes Three said...

I want to make a smoke bomb! LOL
New blog hop follower
Sweet T Makes Three

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I wondered when I saw the jelly jar being used as a beaker - looks like something we'd try :) Love the essay on writing!

Anonymous said...

love the chem lab! I can see my girls having a blast with this, I am going to have to file it away for future use.

Stopping by and following for FMBT.

Unknown said...

That does look like fun...I'll wait a little bit with my boys, but they would love this!
Here from the hop, Have a great day.
Crystal
www.inspiredlangley.com

Juli said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I totally need to do this with my kids!

But then they'll write about it... and then the school will get involved, and once again I will have to "explain myself" on why I am THAT mother who lets their kids play with way cool stuff, and learn about chemistry at the same time. :)

Kelly L said...

Looks like a lot of fun and work
I've Become My Mother
Kelly's Ideas
Amazing Salvation

Amanda said...

My husband would love to do this with my son! New follower from the hop
http://tooblessed-tobestressed.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

So fun!


Now following from http://BabyDealsDujour.com/blog
We track all of the baby daily deals in real-time. Would love for you to follow back!

Mary said...

How fun!!! I am bookmarking this for future reference. I have 3 boys too :)

Found you on NOBH!

Mary

DSLA said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Looks like you guys had a blast! ;)

Eat To Live said...

What a fun Mom you are... Of course I am sure you are the one that had to clean up the mess.

New follower, hope you stop over and check out my blog. Would love a follow back.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails