Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cow Hearts & Caviar

Samantha's Day
Just another day learning with the boys.

YES: the Cow Heart part of the post is probably as icky as you thought it might be.
NO: the Caviar part of the post isn't icky at all.


This is a cow heart -- (Brian said NO to the head but he OK'd the heart)


This is Connor videotaping Ki as he dissects the cow heart --

This is Ki being silly and pretending he is eating the cow heart -- >

There were other Ki Posing pictures, but I thought I'd spare you. And there were other dissection pictures, again, I thought I'd spare you those.

Gavin had no interest in the dissection, but he came out and looked at the chambers and arteries and stuff after we were finished cutting. Connor just wanted to make one cut to see what it was like. Ki enjoyed investigating the bovine muscle. When he was done he got online and found some pics and videos of cow heart dissection. Yes- we do things a bit out of order here at The Learning Path School for Autodidactic Boys.
*(I thought it was awesome! I loved Anatomy Class and this was way better than the rubbery frog we dissected in Biology Class!.)

Now Onto the Caviar part of this post......
Ki made cupcakes and topped them with mint caviar.



He made his own Mint Syrup with mint leaves, Karo, and a little green food coloring. He added sodium alginate them dropped the syrup into a water with calcium lactate. It formed the small 'caviar' shaped spheres. (His Culinary Arts Class)


This was the first time I have ever eaten caviar. But being that this caviar only has the same shape of fish egg caviar and it is made up mint and syrup, I'm not sure it counts as my first caviar. I want to make Watermelon caviar!

The boys are gone camping with the guys from the church group. The youth group leader is basically a kid himself. I hope they come back in 1 piece. well, 3 pieces I guess. 1 for each boy. That'd be weird to get back 1 conglomerate of the 3 of them.

I need to take some knitting pictures. I paused the DNA scarf and started a sleeveless top. I will get some pictures up soon.

I have no plans for Easter. none. at. all. Brian will be out of town and there is no family close. I'll have to ask the boys what they want to do.

Oh, and we'll be getting back to Chemistry Class next week. YAY! I love science! I love the planning involved in teaching 1 science to 3 different levels of boys!


~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

11 comments:

Juli said...

OK. Cow heart? Not as gross as I would think.

Caviar? Yum!

My plans include Easter "snacks" at my Mom's, and building fences... oh and getting rid of a car, ordering loam, getting the septic pumped, and any thing else that needs to be done that I haven't thought of.

Tis the joy of Spring. ;)

Sandra said...

That caviar looked awesome!
And the pic of your son pretending to eat that big-ass cow heart, hilarious...and that is a big-ass cow heart!...did I mention it's huge?

Joelle said...

Oh wow, is that what life will be with homeschooling teenaged boys? Thanks for stopping by. Enjoyed reading your comment ;-)

Stacey said...

following back from www.madeofsnails.com <3
thanks for stopping by :)

Discovering the Me in Mommy said...

yuck...never did well in biology! was this from the same steer that was butchered?!?

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Awesome! Nice to know what my life will be like in a few years:) YAY 3 boys!

Mary Prather said...

Oooh....very cool!!

Twingle Mommy said...

OK as a student dissecting things didn't bother me, but as an adult, I don't know how well I would do. You're a pretty awesome mom to do this for your kids!
Thanks for the follow, following you back now.

Jayda said...

I remember biology and having to dissect a small pig. I cant even imagine a cow heart and it looks huge compared to the piglet I had...Thats when I decided I was definitely not cut out for medicine lol

Thanks for linking up with the Friday Blog hop and I am glad to have good company with another mom with a migraine :-)

Janice said...

Cow heart? Yikes. I don't like dissecting. In high school, I got out of dissecting a frog because I (thankfully) got the chickenpox. Haha!

Anyway, thanks for following my blog. I'm here to return the favor and to thank you as well for the comment. Ziggy's sleep fluctuates from time to time. He slept well last night, though. So goody for me. :D

Dawn @ 5 Kids and a Dog said...

I just saw your comment & link! Awesome "C" post for the ABC's of Homeschooling! We did a cow heart dissection when my "big" kids were around 4th & 6th grades, along with another family whose kids were 4th-8th. The kids LOVED playing with the valves and checking out all the layers of muscle. It was really an interesting dissection. It looks like your son had a good time with it! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails