Thursday, April 21, 2011

ABC's of homeschooling

ABCs of Homeschooling

But I saw this at Homeschooling for His Glory- so I have to say I am taking it from Joelle, not from 5kidsandadog. Credit where Credit is due- and that is in 2 places this time.

I will be doing a couple of letters at a time, because I am not consistent enough to do them on schedule.

A is for Autodidact- That is why I homeschool- to help my boys become autodidacts; someone who is self-taught. For us that means allow them the freedom to follow their passions and interests, to not let 'school' get in the way of learning. I may not have taught my boys everything from the long list of 'Facts taught to kids all throughout school'- but I taught them something more important. How to learn on their own. How do decide what they need to know and then teach themselves. Elementary Years are easy. They boys are little sponges learning everything and asking about everything. The Junior High years are the ones that make you doubt as they chill out and just... exist.... but now that they are in the High School years, I am seeing it all come together. Well, Ki is still in the Junior High phase, but he has always been the more 'self-directed' of the three.

I bought them these T-Shirts a few years ago.....
"I can't go to school.... I'm autodidactic."

Things brings me to thought of discussing unschooling- but I'll leave that for "Q"
OTHER A's: Amtgard. Animals. Art. Advice (we all seem to get a lot of that as homeschoolers, LOL)


B is for BOYS- because I am homeschooling 3 boys, it seemed like a good choice for this 2nd letter in the alphabet. I am surrounded by boys. I am teaching boys. I assume this is a different ball game them homeschooling all girls. Our days are filled with
Making their own Ninja Throwing Stars and a target board- in the back yard.
Dissecting Cow Hearts.... in the back yard.
ParKour practice...in the back yard...
Making & Wielding Renaissance Weapons.. in the back yard...
Hmmm this is why I often have the gardener skip doing the backyard.....

Maybe "B" should have stood for "BACKYARD"

We also have less violent things happen in the backyard. Gavin grows strawberries. Ki collects Mosquito Larvae for his tiny froglets. Connor lays in the sun and pets his cat. I lead Nijna Training Exercises.


I love having boys! I'm more of a Hiking in a creek, catching newts, and dissecting cow heart- kinda girl than a ruffles, bows, and pink kinda girl. But I guess if I had a girl she'd not be too into pink and ruffles anyway.

My boys have been good at insisting they learn when they are ready- regardless of it it lines up with my timing or a schoolbook's timing.

some were doing basic algebra at 6 and some didn't read till 5th grade.... or at 4 yrs, but refused to read around me until much much later- when they were ready for me to have confirmation they could read. Some refused to count to 6 until they were 6 years old.

That makes it sound like I have 5 or 6 boys.....no. Just the 3 of them.

and I can't imagine them having nearly the success in public school that they do here and now. I am thankful we get to let them learn their own way.

OTHER B's: Backyard, Biology, Bible, Bored, Books, Blog, Blessed



~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

11 comments:

dtbrents said...

I admire mom's who home school. My three girls all have college degrees. One teaches high school English and Latin. My only son is in college. He plans to be a history teacher. Some of my grands were in private schools and some are in public school. You must be a saint spending that much time with teen boys. One nearly drove me mad. Mainly because he loved anything with wheels. He still does. Have a great week. Doylene

Jessica S. @Mother of Action said...

LOL!! I do love your T-shirt design!! :) And yes!! Mine should have been B for Boys too! We have four of them. I also agree that boys are fun!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Rebagv said...

Kimberly,

I love the A you used. I also love that you are taking the time to combine letters for that ABC sharing Meme.

I learned something new today about Autodidactic. I didn't know that's what I was teaching my children.

Wow! You have three boys. That's awesome. I'm sure you have lots of wisdom in that department to share.

Thanks for visiting my blog, too.

Rebecca G.

NANCY said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog today. I'm following you back!!

Nancy

http://thatsoundslikecrazy.blogspot.com

Juli said...

Boys totally rock.

And you are right. They would not know a lot of the things that they know now if it weren't for home school. For starters, public school's don't have access/funds to cow's hearts or weilding equiptment.

As long as they learn what they need to survive, they'll be fine.

No worries... I'm sure you're doing an awesome job!

XLMIC said...

You make homeschooling sound like such a blast! Can my kids come to your 'school'? lol

I was put to the test homeschooling my oldest stepson 14 years ago... I almost didn't make it. He did great :)

Dawn @ 5 Kids and a Dog said...

I love the shirt!! Boys ARE fun and make homeschooling a definite adventure. Thanks for linking up with me today!

Anonymous said...

One of the things I learned about boys - from teaching at the college level and teaching my sons (I have homeschooled, but all are in school right now) - boys don't want to learn anything unless they understand its usefulness!

I so love what you said about reading. Not all children bloom at the same time - and public school is too quick to categorize if a child isn't blooming early enough. With the right encouragement and patience - they get there - just like you said! Loved it!

Meryl said...

Great post. I like you A and B and look forward to reading about the other 24.

Joelle said...

Thanks for the credit, but you really did not have to. I really love your A word. I did start to homeschool because my oldest was more of an autodidact kind of child. It is really cool to see the things that learn on their own . . .

Have a blessed Easter as well!

Gabby Malcuit said...

Good thing it worked out for you! I'm definitely a girly girl, so I don't know what it will be like if we have a boy later on.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails