Thursday, February 10, 2011

ODONTOLOGY forensic science day

SAFETY FIRST includes:
a clay nostril covering to avoid burnt tooth powder odor.


So glad to be at THURSDAY!

here is our day:
I swept the back porch after stepping on a thorn. barefoot.

9AM- Ninja Training. our Magic Number was 15. We did Push Ups, butterfly Sit-ups, Floating Leaf, Frog Stretches, The Mantis Pose, and jump rope.

10AM- Odontology: each boy had a tooth to investigate. Draw a detailed picture, label areas, name tooth type, cut tooth open and use magnifying glass to look at internal structure.
All boys did a great job. They used different magnifying apparatuses and drew good pictures. they identified their teeth. Connor had a canine, the others had premolars.
KI


The Above Drawing is Gavin's

http://www.uic.edu/classes/orla/orla312/PREMOLAR.htm

Dremel was used. I think the boys had a lot of fun! They tried a tiny hacksaw and chisel and hammer. it was good to start the cutting with the dremel then use the chisel to finish the job. It was cool! They found the pulp chamber and what looked like a left over nerve or vessel sticking out. Shining the UV light on the teeth, esp the insides, was neat, too!

GAV



CON NOR


Plus we scraped the cavity tooth and looked at the decay under a microscope- after looking at the cavity with magnifying glasses and writing down some details. THIS was NEAT!!!! but, no pictures. sorry.

I found the mold/cast of the teeth- the dentist gave me.. but I can NOT find the X-ray! darn darn. We made our own casts and checked out X-rays online and found cat teeth Xrays.

Ki made Brownies.

Gavin made Guacamole.



That was the fun part of the day. Now they will do their math and reading on their own.

MORE FORENSIC POSTS: ** Pics of making our own Fingerprint powder and using it: CLICK HERE

** Click to see our "real Crime Scene Processing" CLICK HERE

** Check Out Pictures from our Cake Mystery and Shoe Impression by clickingHERE (shoes, foam, & cake).

** Our Tool Mark Analysis Activity -> CLICK HERE

** Blood Forensics --> CLICK HERE

** Anthropology --> CLICK HERE

This Blog Post is linked up to:
Smart and Trendy Moms <---- GO READ some new blogs! Make some new Bloggy Friends!!


If you made it all the way to the end you surely liked it... so click below to vote!
~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a fun day!!

Juli said...

They can do my dental work any time. :) Okay, maybe not.

But I'll be over for the brownies...

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

At what point of the lesson does one actually say - Please pull out your silly putty to avoid the Burnt Tooth Odor? I had to scroll back up to see that I read that correctly. I'll take a side order of Guacamole please.

Kyla said...

I'm a new follower following back! Thanks for stopping by! Btw, 3 boys..hats off to you!!

Angie said...

Looks like a great day minus the thorn in the foot. BTW I Love the nose cove, very creative :)

Marjory Skousen said...

WOW! I never would have thought of that for science. My kids do public school, but every summer I did a summer vacation school time for my kids. Thanks for coming by and following. I'm now following you back too.

The Loops said...

Following back! I would have loved this as a kid!

Anonymous said...

Hey!
I'm your newest follower from Social Parade Blog Hop. If you get a minute please drop by and follow back and feel free to enter my giveaways.
http://alittleoftheother.com

Have a super week!

Kimberly said...

Awesome! ((Love Ninja training))

Natalie said...

I love the idea of home schooling, but doubt I have the patience for it. When I have little ones of my own, can I just send them to you? You seem to be doing a great job with yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails