Thursday, November 20, 2008

Read Your Bible & Pray Everyday

(random thoughts)
Read Your Bible & Pray Everyday……

… And you’ll grow….Grow…GROW!!! That was one of my favorite Sunday School Songs as a child. Any song where I got to get out of my chair and move was a favorite. Like “I’m in the Lord’s Army” YES SIR!. Of course I like Trust and Obey, too. Songs that told you what to do to ‘be a good Christian’ were also favorites. I have always been told by Spiritual Gifts are Prophecy and Discernment. BACK the subject at hand….. Reading the Bible Everyday. (in case you forgot the subject at hand as I was taking random tangent trails)


What does it mean to Read Your Bible everyday. I guess it may not be as Black and white as I’d like. There is not real formula that the right and proper way to go about it daily. I was taught to Read and Pray first thing in the morning. “Get up early and do it before the rest of the house is awake.” I need 9 hours of sleep (or 10). Connor used to wake for the day at 5; Bright eyed and bushy tailed. NO WAY is my brain working at that hour to get anything out of reading the Bible. Now he gets up between 6:30 and 7:30. Sometimes earlier. But I sleep till 7:30. Sorry Sunday school teacher; I can’t do it that early. My brain needs an hour or two to overcome my dyslexia before I can read in order to comprehend. So my Bible Reading isn’t at 6AM. I used to feel guilty about that.


Then there is the topic of ‘what constitutes proper Bible reading for personal daily growth.” Is it one hour of studious pouring over the same passage and take fervent notes? Does it have to be consecutive? Genesis 1 today, Gen 2 tomorrow, Gen 3, the next and so on?. Again, something I could never do. I can read in order for a few days, but by then my mind is ready for a new topic. (If not daily). I have tried a couple devotional books. They never work. I don’t have the patience. The smallest thought had me researching a different topic or different passage. It’s like ADD Bible Reading. Reading one passage brings up questions to research something else, when I get there I read a bit and soon find a different question that needs answered….. Another thing I always would feel guilty about.

Ki is very good about going in order. He has a Bible Picture Book. Basically the whole Bible is a Comic Book format. He started at the beginning of creation and is not all the way through the Old Testament and into the New; reading about the Ministry of Christ.

And does reading the Bible to my kids count as my ‘Daily Reading’? I have been reading to Ki out of Genesis (mostly) to go with his School Workbook. I decided that counts, but not for every day. But occasionally it counts.


Some days I read the verses from Last weeks sermon. ( I copy each one down in my color-coded Church Notebook). Sometimes I read for next weeks topics. Sometimes I get a butterfly and have to chase it. This week it was reading more in-depth about Communion. Some days I just listen to Worship Music and hymns and sing ‘Bible Verse Songs” with my kids. I love the one from Psalms “The Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul, the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple… more to be desired are they than Gold, yea than much fine go—old..Sweeter also than the ho-oney in the honey comb” and love the round “Humble Thyself in the Sight of the Lord…”


I start my day with prayer and often songs, but my bible reading comes later in the day. And sometimes I forget to read. Then I feel all guilty again. I feel guilty about a lot sometimes.

PS- I don't feel guilty about 'not doing it right anymore. Haven't for a while.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I have read through the Bible 6 times by reading 4 verses a day regardless for a year. Other years I have read a verse or two and still others I have read a devotional with a verse, and still othersa I have no set study and just read as I felt likee when I felt lik, often chaising butterflies or reading random excerpts or looking for verses on a specific subject. Point is that I have learned that you read what God prompts you to read when God prompts you to read and refuse to feel guilty (unless it is God then fix whatever is making you feel guilty.) This year I started not reading anything daily, just reading as I felt the need, then half way through I took on a chapter a day. I find that keeping a Bible in the bathroom helps, and having one in each other room where I can grab it when I feel led helps as well. Bible reading is between you and God and God WILL prompt you to read what He wants you to read when He wants you to.

katjandu said...

I loved the one time you and I went to my Bible study and we made baskets. You and I sang lots of praise songs and the ladies loved every bit of it.
I don't know to say about feeling guilty. It's something you will work out. Maybe you were taught at school or Sunday school or maybe it's just your make up that you think if you don't achieve thus and so you're guilty. Forgive yourself, and know that every day is a new day in the Lord, I read the word in different ways all the time. I used to think I had to read in order etc. But God has shown me different. He loves you and can speak to your heart.

katjandu said...

I agree with Heather. God will prompt you. I was at a store looking at some books to help me with my Bible time and bought one. I thought of you the entire time I was looking at it, it was like God said.. Get that for Kimberly. Do you want it? It's simple and easy and can be done in minutes, but it's about being quiet with God.

Ruth MacC said...

Ever since God saved me I love reading the Bible. However, that doesn't stop me from not reading it. I am ok if I pray and read the Bible. These devotional books are an extra. I have some in a basket on the table and read them sometimes in the morning. I have one for Sean too. I like Heathers idea about having a bible in the bathroom. I have little daily readings there, they just take a momet to read, perfect for the loo!!

Agepe said...

Nice post. I like it. Greetings from Indonesia

Stacie said...

Yep, I struggle with all that stuff too...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails