Monday, November 3, 2008

Conversation with Gavin

GAVIN: (taking his physics test) "cool. I just have one more problem."

ME: "No way! I'm only half way done with my Chai!" (we're testing at the coffee shop)



**************************



GAVIN: "So, can I round up my answer?"

ME: "Why? does it have a bazillion decimal places out?"

GAVIN: "No. I got 30.6. But I wasn;t sure if it's the right formula."

ME:"Why, did you use your notes? Did you take good notes so you have the formulas in your notebook?"

GAVIN: "The formula's in my notebook, I just didn't know which formula it was. So I just made one up in my head to use."



Who does that?? Who just makes up physics formulas in their head??And he got it correct.

Mathmatically, he got a 91%. but he forgot to write his units on one wrote too sloppy for my to determine exactly what he wrote on one. Those were the last two problems. I guess the pumpkin pie wore off by then.

I gave him an 89%.

GAVIN: " Know what I don't get? You kow how scientist say if you drop 2 different sized objects from the exact same height, they will reach the ground at the exact same time......?"
ME: "Yes, what about it"
GAVIN: "Well, that's not exactly true. All objects exert their own gravity. So a larger object will will have a greater gravitational pull and pull it to the ground faster. Of course, the difference is so minute, you'd only notice is you were dropping, say, a marble and the moon. The moon would hit the grounds about 2 times faster."

10 comments:

Stacie said...

Wow, what a smart, science geeky kid!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

he showed me where the decimalpoint was and it si definately there. So I gave him a 90%, but told him next time if I can;t tell right away I'm counting off.... not that it matters- gradewise. No one seeshis grade but him and I and all it's for is for him to see what he knows and where he needs to improve.They don't go on any record or anything. It's just 'personal bragging rights'..

jhunterj said...

It's always good to be able to re-derive a formula when you need it. Saves the trouble of memorizing them or looking them up, and shows that you understand why the formula is THE formula. Nice job, to both of you.

Andrew said...

Wow, that's good! I hope he keeps it up!

Chai is good.

katjandu said...

wow what an amazing kid. I can see you shaking your head. I am proud of you both. Gavin is a geeking science kid just like Stacie says.. but that's so cool.

Moby Dick said...

Geez! I was just thinking about football game to watch! Channel 4, 6, or the ESPN Scoreboard.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Wow!
Move over, Galileo! And Newton.
I think you have a budding physicist on your hands. I suggest you start collecting pocket protectors and slide rules--both antique but useful.

Anonymous said...

I think having that conversation with him would make my head spin. *lol* ... Smart kid!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are going to have fun with him! The conversations get more interesting the older they get... keep having fun with him (and the others). You're obviously doing a great job.
Kath

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails