Thursday, February 28, 2008

eVALuate!

Yesterday I said how he did poorly on his online math assesment. I did not read any of it to him- wanted to see what he could do totally on his own (he has trouble with reading comprehension )

well he did poorly. He started his lessons with the program today and I sat with him. It showed the first problems. and said to Evaluate the problem or something like that.

Connor said. "I know how to do it, but I just don't know what they mean by evaluate. "

I told him it was just a different way of saying to find the answer or solve the problem.

He was like: "WHAT??!!! really?? that's why I did bad! I kept clicking "I haven't learned this yet"- becuase i didn't know what they meant by evaluate!" (we always say 'solve' or 'find the answer' or just 'do the problem'

goofy boy~ he's over there saying how Muy Faci (very easy) it all is. He's just 'mastered' 5 thingsin 5 minutes-- due to the fact he really already knew it- just skipped it because of his misunderstanding of the terminology...





**Kimberly**
~7th year homeschooling 3 boys~

4 comments:

Stacie said...

Been there, read that (BTRT) to quote a Keeter abbreviation.

But I'll say it again...Three Cheers for Connor!!

momof3feistykids said...

*Smile*

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Yep.

Can you imagine what labels he'd have picked up in school? Not because he didn't "get" it, but because he did not know what the question meant.

This happened to some third graders on a standards-based high stakes test I once had to proctor. On the math section, they did not know what "construct a net" meant. They could have done the problem if they had known. But they didn't know. And according to the rules of this pernicious testing company, I was not supposed to tell them what it meant.

And you wonder why I think these tests are bogus?

Niall MacC said...

Hello again! Nice to hear from you. My son has been learning this past couple of years all about different ways of saying the same thing... It can be tough some times!

Today I am in the library with sean. He will be having his reading test later. A teacher friend of mine is coming up from Dublin with it. It's not just reading though, it is a whole test with questions you haave to write answers to... I am glad to have them because it helps me to know if we are keeping up. I know it's not popular with lots of homeschoolers but I nees the safety net!

Hope things are going well with you and yours. will check in again soon. God bless you.
Ruth

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails