Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How To Tuesday: make a seed starter greenhouse

I begin with a story. A Dialogue between a hungry 17 yr old boy and his mother.

SON: "Mom, do you know where the small pan is??"
MOM: Eating Chocolate Covered Almonds while Watching Netflix -(thinks to self. "oh, no. I totally forgot about that!)

MOM: :"ummm. In the back yard."
SON: "WHAT?? Why is it out THERE??"
MOM:" I took it out to clean it. It was super dirty."
SON: "So, is it clean?"
MOM: "no."
SON: "ARG!"

I had it out back my the compost pile squirting the moldy spaghetti sauce out with the hose- but got distracted.

NOW for my HOW TO mini-Instructional. (and, don't worry, it won;t be how to clean dishes. That'd be like the Blind leading the Blind. THIS How To is for a mini-greenhouse to start your seeds.

Well, not an actual house.

and it is not actually GREEN.

But you get to use a knife and a soldering iron.

and tape.

And before I begin I must apologize for the quality of the pictures. I used Connor's video camera- that takes stills, but not that well. I was too lazy to find my good camera:

So, choose your seeds. For my first project I went with Bell Pepper Seeds.

Then get some 2 Liter bottles, knife, scissors, packing tape, soldering knife, and dirt.

take the lid off of your bottles and rinse them. (my just had Club Soda, so I didn't bother rinsing them)
Then pinch the side a bit and make a small cut:

Then Use scissors in the cut, and cut around the entire circumference of the bottle:

I just follow the label. And I advise leaving labels on to protect the roots from the sunlight..

I like to cut a few slits in the lid. I find this helps them fit on better:


Then I use a soldering iron to put the holes in the bottom. WAY EASIER then when you had to poke them with your safety scissors in 4th grade.



Next add the dirt:

I like to start with some type of gravel for drainage. I had some clay spheres I got at a Hydroponics Store- so I used them:


Just a handful to cover the bottom.

Then I took a mixture of: Compost/Garden Soil & Potting Soil & Sphagnum Moss. I filled the containers to about 2 inches below the top of the label.


Added my seeds, watered with added fertilizer, put the lids on, and then the packing tape around the seam.






I misplaced the lids, do I added more tape to cover the opening.


I bought some apples at Costco. They came in this plastic bubble container:

I thought I'd try using it as a seed starter.
I filled with the dirt mixture.
poked holes, through the dirt with my scissors- because I forgot to to make holes first.


then added the seeds.

and watered and snapped the lid closed.



I hope it works.



I'm Joining Julianna in Posting a How To Tuesday Post with this hop:
Click to see more How To's on Tuesday!

~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Cool! I will tuck this idea away and aspire to it. Actually, this would be a REALLY good thing for me to do. And I need all the help I can get. Thank you!

Christie said...

That is seriously so cool. It looks easy enough that even I could do it. Love it.

Karey said...

What a great use for those plastic apple thingies. Great ideas that even the kids might enjoy.

Donna said...

Great idea, Thanks!

Juli said...

I Love this!

And to think... I bought those jiffy greenhouses this year for the kids. (Truth be told they just wanted to see the little dirt disks pop up when you watered them.)

This is so awesome. And, now I feel like a total noob for not posting a how to this week. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails