Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Farmer's Market

Mmmmm! man, this is SO GOOD! I could have this for lunch everyday! And it taste CLEAN. not like soap, but like a clean, crisp mountain spring. With just right amount of chewing. And it smells so yummy!! I bought it today at the Farmer's Market. $10. So good. worth every penny (as was the bad for me, churro! good thing I rode my bike, burnt some of the calories from that.)
So, what it that I am eating?
Pita Bread (the non-pocket type) with
Avocado & Cilantro Hummus ...andtopped with
Taboulie Salad- heavy on the parsley.

for $10 I got 5 pitas. a tub of taboulie salad (maybe 1.5 cups? 2 cups?(all with no additives or persavities. not big words in the ingredients)
and an 8 oz tub of the avocado cilantro hummus. I could be 5 meals- if I had eaten just ONE today...
Also at the Farmer's Market today: (we rode our bikes. 2 miles round trip- how nice is that??)
fresh picked California Strawberries.
the most delicious white necatarines I have ever tasted
TriBerry Jam (For Gavin) it has raspberry, marion berry, blueberry, sugar, pectin, lemon juice (I think that's it) It wasn't cheap. It's a special treat I think. $5,50 for 10 oz.
KETTLECORN - always SCRUMPTIOUS STUFF! fresh popped!
Gavin had a few dollars of his own and bought one of his favorite snacks. red & yellow cherry tomatoes. I bet he'll come next week too. It cost him $1 (1/2 pound and it was more than I would have thought)
2 broccoli heads (2 for $1)
and we tried our first, and definately NOT LAST, churro

wipedia:
A churro is a fried-dough pastry-based snack, sometimes made from potato dough, which is believed to have originated in Spain, and is popular in Latin America, France, Portugal, the USA, and Spanish-speaking Caribbean islands. It is sometimes referred to as a Spanish doughnut or Mexican doughnut. The snack gets its name from its shape, which resembles the horns of the Churro breed of sheep reared in the Spanish grasslands of Huarocho.[citation needed] There are two types of churros found in Spain. One is long and fat and the other is thin and knotted.
The churro is typically fried to a crunchy consistency. Its surface is ridged due to being piped from a churrera, a syringe with a star-shaped nozzle. Churros are generally prisms in shape, and may be straight, curled or spirally twisted.
Like pretzels, churros are often sold by street vendors who in many cases will fry them freshly on the street stand and sell them hot.


**ours were coated with sugar and NOT filled with anything:

1 comment:

LAA and Family said...

That pita sandwich sounds absolutely divine! I LOVE hummus and I bet it's just scrumptious with avacado! I'm starving now!

When I lived in CA we got the best artichokes. I'm sure we had lots of other great produce too, but it's been 35+ years ago!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails