Monday, May 19, 2008

Ki and his math

to be a robotic engineer, the boys know they need to learn math. Ki wants to learn and tries hard, but it's slow going for him and often hard to find a way that works well for him to learn math. There have been times he's decided to switch from maybe multiplication to graphs when he gets stuck. He does better when he makes the decision and the plans. I found an online math program. My husband really liked it and made the exectutive decision we'd try it for awhile with the boys.
Ki kas good days and bad days. He wants to be able to do it, but it is clear he needs something more. He needs more hands on.

My husband really likes this program so we will continue it with Ki (and the others) But Ki wants to go back to using his Froggy Math workbook. So we will. He wants to finish working on fractions (which is what his froggy book is about) and I think he'd do better if we added some hands on stuff. So I am looking into Math U See for fractions, to go along with his froggy Fraction workbook.

I was a bit upset about Ki and his math last week, but am over it now.

2 comments:

Niall MacC said...

Hello again Kaber,
Good to hear from you! I was just catching up on some of your posts, can't believe you are home schooling that many years, well done. In relation to un-schooling etc, you seem to be doing a good job. No body knows your children the way you know them so you are the best person to guide them.

Because there are not to many home schoolers in Ireland, I felt a bit nervous and unsure of my abilities when I schooled Sean so I decided to have him take the same tests as other children his age take when they are in school. Now I don't mind so much... Sean is doing fine and so I might revisit the whole idea for next year... What I am trying to say is that I needed Sean to take the tests more than he did, and maybe that is where your husband is?!

Hope you do get the book. It is quite sad but I think it's not a subject we should hide from our children. One of the kids who read it was 7. Her mum read some of it to her so I think that children can take a sad story like this one, under the supervision of a loving parent..
God bless,
Ruth

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Hi, Kaber!

How's the move affecting your schooling?

I, too, go through periods of real worry about N.'s math. And yet, it seems to be a two-steps-forward-one-step-back type of process for him. He'll take long breaks from learning anything new; breaks in which he just does the "old stuff." Then he'll go on to to whiz through something new, and then solidify that over a few months.

It's weird, but I admit it is working.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails