Monday, March 30, 2015

Upcycled Denim Skirt.

I had to take a break from the green acetate blouse. So I decided to make another skirt for No Pants April.

I had found  a few jeans in my kids room that were outgrown or had rips.
And I have some black corduroy someone gave me.

I cut off the legs:

 Then I saved one of the pockets:


Then I cut my finger:
 Then I measured my waist (where I want the skirt to sit, which is a few inches below my actual waist). I divided that by 6, since I am using 6 panels, I measured my hips (at the fullest point & was a bit sad), and divided that by 6 (& added an inch).
 I added an inch to that number for seam allowance. Then I cut the jean legs into panels that were the waist measurement at the top and at least the hip measurement 8 inches below the waist (which is how far below my skirt waist that my hips are)

pictured  next is the panel from the non-ripped jeans. I folded the leg, so I would have the fancy stitched double seam showing.
WAIST:

HIPS:


Here, you see that the ANKLE HEM of the jeans will be the WAIST of the skirt.(see the fancy double stitched seam from the side of the keg, now down the middle of the skirt)

I wanted gores between the panels in the front and the back, so when I stiched the panels together I left 12" unstitched to insert the gores:

the pocket from the old jeans:

The zipper is placed on on of the seams in back, but is off center, as there is no center seam:
 I cut 4 triangles out of the black corduroy. 12" height and 8" base. I then sewed the gores to the panels:




HERE IS A LINK for how to sew gores.
I cut side seam pockets out of colorful fabric. (here is a LINK for POCKETS)


I used bias tape to finish the waist edge:

the colorful pocket:


EVERYTHING were items I already had, old jeans, free fabric, zipper & bias tape from my supply drawer.....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails