Friday, September 19, 2008

MISERABLE CHILDREN and SPOONS

As I was sipping my breakfast fruit smoothies, I said to my boys (15 &13- the youngest is gone today):
"I think I'll go get dressed and walk to the coffee shop and enjoy a caramel latte while my children stay home and are miserable because they have school work to do."
This makes them laugh and talk about how while I am gone Soksey (their cat) will be the king and they will be his slaves.

Connor has his Geology Study. He asked to learn about geology and I know he'd not do well with any sort of book or curriculum (unlike G&K who are using Apologia to learn their chosen sciences). So I wrote a unit study tailored to Connor's learning style and personality. He opened his book Monday and say a few questions and assumed that was the ONLY page he ad to do this week so He just did half of page 1. I think their were 4 or 5 pages of hand written questions - which isn't much, his notebook is smaller than a full page size and I write large and skip spaces for him. Anyway- he had enough geology to keep busy quite a while. But he only has one math question. He did all his math by yesterday except the LAST thing. He thought it'd be fun or funny or something, to stop right at the last thing and save it for today.

I really do not know what Gavin is doing today.

***********************************************
Sharing some random thoughts that attacked my brain the other day:



I remember Granny Clampett waving her soup spoon at her clan. Sometime telling them it was time for Badger Stew, sometimes mad at Jethro for..whatever new thing he was up to...


I remember the cartoon The Tick! Remember that one? The Tick had a battle cry:
"SPOON!!"




Remember the Show Everybody Loves Raymond. Marie had that large Wooden Spoon hanging on her wall. (you can see the handle behind Ray's head)


The Spoon seems to be a reoccurring theme in TV. Then along come a movie that gives us some inside information on the SPOON.

There is no spoon.


Kinda reminds me of unschooling. The world all knows what the spoon is. The spoon looks like a spoon to everyone. A spoon is a spoon. Everyone knows what a a spoon is and what it does and what it needs to look like to be considered a spoon. There are certain things that require the use of a spoon.

Kids in Public School are the kids with spoons to eat their soup.

Then you have homeschooled kids with all different kinds of spoons that look varied and weird and only sort of spoon like at times.

Then you have us unschoolers who just look at everyone with a tilt to our head and say: "Free Your Mind. There is no spoon." (and the soup probably doesn't really exist either)

This is what I was thinking about while biking home from Target the other day. I missed the turn onto my street becuase I was thinking about spoons.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

King cat with human slaves. Very funny. Like the root Gavin found on his hike.

Anonymous said...

I remember watching the Clampetts. Funny show. Some times when I need to dig out in my planter box to plant flower bulbs, I will use a serving spoon from the drawer to dig a hole.

Carolyn.

katjandu said...

I thought of the same thing, Gavin and the jumping cat king. I love your mind.

katjandu said...

Not to mention all the games of Spoon played on Thanksgiving. I remember Granny E having a huge wooden fork and spoon on a wall at some place she lived.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Wow! You were thinking VERY deep thoughts!!
No, my older son doesn't have a blog. He used to have one but deleted it when the thrill of it wore off. He pretty much sticks with Facebook now!

Anonymous said...

That was an interesting way to look at it... I wonder what our spoon would look like?

LAA and Family said...

Funny, I just had a train of thoughts about spoons the other day too(though a much shorter "train" than yours!).... My kids were eating some rice and I said, "just use your spoon if it's easier to eat it." Meantime, I started thinking to myself, "I wonder if it's better 'etiquette' to use a fork?" Then I thought, "who cares, I don't want rice all over the table and the floor right now.. I'll worry about etiquette later!"

Anonymous said...

Wow! Home-schooling! I commend thee! I sure couldn't do it! I need breaks from my kids! I was so excited to send my son off to preschool this year (I cried like a baby on the first year!). Plus... I'm not that smart. :)

Thanks for swinging by my blog! I'd love to trade notes on SPD... tell me about your son... there's a ton on my blog about my lil guy! But... sheesh... you've got years on my little guy... you've probably got it all figured out and can just be my guru. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails