Friday, September 19, 2008

Does "Crying It Out" work?

How long till they stop crying all night?

She cried off and on all night. I tried to let her cry and not go to her. I know if I just let her drink like she wants that'll I can get to sleep. But then she just CRIES again later on. But it might be worth it to give in. Then she'd just cry 2-3 times at night and not every stinking hour! How long? How many nights till she figures it out and just comforts herself?

Wait. What's that? What did you say?

You know I don't have a baby. All my kids are boys? How can this be?

I confess. It is not offspring that is crying to drink all night. It is the Feline of the House. You see, my husband taught her to drink from the bathroom sink. Which means she needs someone to turn the water on for her. Being that she is 16 (OLD for cat), she is too arthritic to jump up there herself and in her old age, I think her kidneys aren't the best and she is thirsty ALL the time.

So she YOWLS ans CRIES and YELLS for someone to lift her up and turn the faucet on many often. I would make my husband get up and deal with, since he taught her this lovely trick. Well, he's away on a business trip. I was tired of Pumpkin YELLLING at me all the time to lift her up and turn on the water. I didn't want to just leave her to drink from the water bowl downstairs, because we have another cat and what if he drank all the water and there's none left for my poor little Pumpkin?

So I brought her water bowl up to my bathroom. Soksey knows NOT to go in my bathroom when Pumpkin is there. (which is all the time).

I filled her bowl with fresh water before bed. Then when she CRIED I got up and set her next to the water bowl and showed her it was there. I flicked at the water with my finger even. Then I went to bed. She Cried some more, but eventually stopped and I heard her lapping. The next time she cried that night I let her cry (YELL HORRIBLY) a while, then went in and reminded her where the water bowl was. She didn't want it. She cried forever!!!

I kept that up during the day. Once she did 3 short cried, stopped. I peeked at her and she was at the water bowl drinking. I thought YEAH! She'll leave me alone tonight!

WRONG! She was mad last night. MEOWR! MEOWR! MEOWR! MEOWR! An and on. I went in and showed her bowl eventually after forever. I couldn't take it anymore. Well, that make her mad.

I was too tired to do anything. She Cried and Yelled at me all night. I wonder how much those water bowls with the bottle that pour water out (in a cycle like a fountain) cost??

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that no matter the cost, if it works, that water bowl will be worth it!

Anonymous said...

I think Stacie is right. HUGS. I hope this passes soon.

katjandu said...

You poor thing, does DH get up all the time at night? Do you have a vet to take her to? I wonder if she is ill and needs some meds for her problem.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, what a deal. You know, they have those faucet things for outdoors. I wonder if they'd work on the sink inside? I'd definitely try that water bottle thing.

Kendra Allegra said...

Sounds like she wants a straw to go with that water.

LAA and Family said...

The things we have to endure for our "babies"! :) I hope you find a solution soon, and get a good night's sleep!

Anonymous said...

Nobody better teach our cat to do that! *lol* ... Because I don't think I would tolerate it as well as you!

Darcy @ m3b said...

My cat does this too - she won't drink standing water. When we leave for weekends she about attacks us when we get in the door to get to the tub and turn on water for her, and the water bowl I left for her stands untouched.

Silly cats.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails