Thursday, January 13, 2011

Shoe Prints, Foam, and Cake

(To Read About our FIRST CSI Activity- a Crime Scene! click HERE Crime Scene Analysis to read about it)
**********************
Yesterday my Crime Scene Techs were called to the scene of a Citrus Theft. The culprit left a shoeprint in the dirt. The Techs took a cast of that print and let it dry overnight. Today they cleaned off the dirt, then compared the shoes in the closet to the cast. Connor was quick to find the shoe.

here is a picture list of how this was done:

SHOE PRINTS
1. I cleared out an area of dirt in the garden next to the Orange Tree.

2. I put on an older shoe and stepped in the dirt, leaving a print.
3. I called the CSI crew out to take a cast of the clue. Ki mixed the Cast Material.
4. Connor Poured it.



5. We waited 30 minutes and Ki lifted it out of the ground.


5.5 We went inside, learned a few Acronyms ( ICPO, ATF, CIA, LAPD, etc)- the boys each researched 2 of them online and wrote a few sentences. Ki researches NCIS (as he likes that TV show)
6. The cast dried inside the house over night and today C&K cleaned the dirt off of it.





7. Connor quickly found the match, though he looked at all the shoes, he was easily able to distinguish the non-matches.

FOAM:
1. Also Yesterday, I got out the box of Bio-Foam. Used by investigators to make a quick impression. (like of a suspects fist to see if it matches marks on the victim. "here, press your hand into this foam."



2. each boy pressed their hand into the foam. Connor PUNCHED his hand in,making cracks in the box.

3. Today I bought a big bag of plaster of paris. Gavin mixed it and poured into the foam molds.

4. Then Gavin pored the rest into one of the latex gloves.

5. We'll check them tomorrow.

CAKE:

  1. Taylor Smith had entered a Betty Crocker Baking Contest. She was sure to win once again with her Award-Winning Chocolate Caramel Upside Down Cake, but a MAJOR UPSET was reported. Taylor came in LAST! She was devastated. After the contest, she tasted her cake.It was AWFUL! She determined there was WAY too much Baking Powder. She remembered that Gavin, Connor, and Ki had all visited her before baking area during the cake preparation. When questioned, the detective found each to have a vial of white Powder.
They Were All Very Happily Suspicious!!

2. Turns out it was not really Gavin, Connor and Ki, but their Evil Twins. You can tell because the Evil Twins sis NOT line up by age. G,C, &K always. ALWAYS. automatically line up by age.

3. My CSI Techs got to work recording the evidence, analyzing and noting appearance, texture, and chemical reactions.





4. It turned out that Ki's Evil Twin was the Saboteur. He lost his title and will not be allowed to compete in the Cake Competition for 4 yrs.


~If you enjoyed my blog, please Click (you can vote daily)~Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Photobucket

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a cool idea!!! Looks like the boys had a great time! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Ps. SOOC stands for "straight out of the camera" (untouched/no edits) And I bought my headband from a local craft sale but I've seen tons of cute ones on Etsy!

Cara (aka Temberton) said...

Looks like you were busy! :) Thank for stopping by to visit me at Totally Temberton.

Lots of Fun with My FaMiLy said...

This is awesome! I can't wait until my girls are older.
Thanks for the follow, I'm now following back.
Tish

katjandu said...

OH this is too much fun! I have to laugh at the way the boys do line up chronologically.
I love trying to keep up with all that takes place in your wonderful school.
I need to start writing in my blog; I'll do that soon since I'm going part time.

Allyn Marie said...

Wow! This is really neat! I want to do this with my Gavin when he gets older :) Thank you for stopping by, I am a new follower!

Gina Kleinworth said...

Kimberly-

Thanks for stopping by today. Love those CSI type school projects. My son is really into those too. I just love it when they think they are having fun but it's really very educational. :)

Ticia said...

Thank you so much for linking up to Science Sunday! I'm going to have to go back into your older posts and see what I can find from them in this series, because my kids LOVE mysteries.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails