Thursday, June 14, 2007

Tortillas and Science

Tortillas
I have a few science experiments i want to do. So stay tuned........ once I don't hack and cough quite so much....

just some interesting facts about Manuel ...
- they do not celebrate birthdays in his family. My boys can't get past the shock of not having birthday cake or parties or presents. Manuel's family can't afford to buy cake or presents. Manuel doesn't know when his siblings birthdays are. not even which month. gavin says he wants to send a birthday presenthome with Manuel. Manuel will probably go home a month before his birthday.

- He can do triple digit division and multilication but has no undestanding of negative numbers. Which seems so odd with the education we have here in the states. Our kids here learn about negative numbers in 1st or 2nd grade I think. long before they are doing long division.

- he is a night owl... stays awake all night and is hard to wake in the morning. It's a bit of an adjustment when we have school sessions. My kids stay up kinda late (to 11 or midnight) but they are up on their own by 7 or 8 (Connor and Ki at 7, Gavin at 8). Manuel stays awake in bed till 1 or so.

-He is very aware of his hair/looks. My kids never comb their hair. They don't care how their hair looks. Manuel has to comb and gel and slick back his hair before he leaves the house. I wish my kids cared a bit more about their appearance some days....

-Manuel is very concerned about being a Christian. Where he is from Christians do not dance ot play cards. Not even UNO or cards with no faces. (It's the faces or the gambling that seems to be what is bad, but he he won't play other card games either) He likes to listen to my TobyMac, but he's never quite sure if it is really Christian. I told him some of the words, but he says the music doesn't sound Christian. Yet he loves atching Jean Claude Van damme and The Terminator. He loves watching Star Wars. Today I went to YouTube and we wtahced Weird Al's Star Wars paridy about Anikan. He got upset and said it wasn't Christian Music. I don't get it. Why is it ok to watch the movie but listen to the Parody?

- It's amazing how picky of an eater he is. I assumed that coming from a place where you eat what's on the table becuase there may not be food tomorrow.. he'd not be so picky. He is almost as picky as my 2 with sensory disorders and oral defensiveness issues.

-It's neat to see my boys play with him. It's neat how kids are kids no matter what culture they are from and even if they don't soeak the same language, they still get along well.

- He loves spaghetti with corn tortillas, It's what he eats for lunch almost dairy. Seems pretty starchy to me....LOL. But I guess we eat spaghetti with garlic bread here.. (well I don't. I eat spaghetti and a salad). I think he just likes tortillas. He had one hot dog the othr day, he cut it into tiny peices and ate 6 corn tortillas with it... and still had a bite of hot dog left. I need to keep closer tabs to how much he eats. I might as well add a little bit of nutrition to his diet while he is here.

TONIGHT- Connor is spending the night with a friend (who is 3 yrs younger than he is) They are going to a baseball game. My mom is taking Gavin out to eat. So it will just be me, Briam, Ki amd Manuel for dinner.
Brian's sister is in town. with her 4 kids. (one is gavin's age, the others are older, but all are close in age). We may meet them for lunch tomorrow.

that's all from my end today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a busy household. Long live torillas! My kids eat them with peanut butter, bananas, cheese, beans, hamburgers, salsa, whatever we have when there is nothing else "good" to eat. (oh, I just reread that, they don't eat them all together, well - they do eat pb and bananas together and beans and cheese, but the rest are eaten individually!)

LAA and Family said...

Regarding Manuel.. I'm supposing that cultural differences are the reason he has such a different outlook, and they are the reason for many of his differences. I marvel at people who can live in another country and live within their culture, especially when they have to speak another language. I lived overseas in several places, but was surrounded by other Americans and went to American schools. I think children are much more flexible when it comes to living in another country. When my siblings and I were young we had no problem playing with other children who did not speak the same language that we did.

I know a large family here who celebrates each other's birthdays, but their children do not go to other children's birthday parties. I don't blame them, birthday parties can get so elaborate!

I hope you are feeling better!

Garden State Kate said...

That is so sweet that your boys want to send him home with a present!
It is wonderful that they have all been given this chance to know each other..and see how differently others live.

"My Little Wonders" said...

Sounds like you all will really miss him when he heads back to his home. How wonderful to have the opertunity to have met him and learned about his life and culture.
Blessings Lori

Stacey Shubitz said...

Hi there. Wanted to tag you for a meme since I just found your blog and am enjoying it:

http://mentortexts.blogspot.com/2007/06/personal-policies-meme.html

Niall MacC said...

I think since you have been ill for so long that you should go back to the doctor. It cant hurt and it might hurry progress? It's not easy being a mum at the best of times let alone mum to 4... Just going to check out your latest post. Something about food by the looks of your other readers.. nice!!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Pneumonia has a long recovery. I remember coughing and hacking for well up to six weeks after I "recovered." I suppose my lungs had to clear. Keep the air moist and drink plenty of fluids to help.

We make our own tortillas. I like the blue corn--New Mexican cooking at its best! Sometimes we roll our hot dogs up inside of them. That's very good.

purple_kangaroo said...

I'll bet he had a very limited diet consisting of mostly tortillas and very little variety before. This post makes me want to hug him.

"My Little Wonders" said...

Hopeing all is well with you.....I haven't seen you here much and I was wondering how you are doing.
Blessings Lori

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails